When planning to start landscaping for your garden or yard, there are things to keep in mind so that there is little or no maintenance will be required. Those are the history of the problems based on your property, outline of your soil, application, and care required for trees, shrubs, and plants, hazards of landscaping at your property, irrigation system, weed growth cycle, your sustainability aim.
The use of harmful chemicals is not suitable for the environment, pollutes the water and air, and of course, will affect your health. According to an EPA report, 9 billion gallons of water are used for lawns and gardens for a day, and half of it is wasted due to inefficient methods and systems.
Finding a simple yet impactful solution for before and after yard maintenance will bring the cost down, and you can use your budget to add more exotic plants to your collections. Landscape maintenance might become an easy task for your home if you follow the specific enumeration from the start like
- Set up outdoor living space so the grass is lesser, and deck, patio, or griller can be added to extend your living space. Even a stone bed would be a fun option to try.
- Picking the suitable stone for your outdoor landscaping or yard will make the setup durable and beautiful with vibrant colour and textures to it.
- For building up a strong base, suppose for an aloft patio, seven to the eight-inch layering of tamping pea stone should be filled. Resulting in no weed growth or re-levelling issues.
- Mulch can be a one-stop solution for your high landscape maintenance issue. They add fragrance to your yard, fertilize the plants, stop weed growth, you don’t need to mow them, and also, it is very cheap.
- As the name suggests, no-mow grass doesn’t need much mowing! You can enjoy it by planting it on your garden lawn throughout the summer season.
- Build a DIY irrigation system with PVC pipe and attach it to your regular hose. You can even add a timer to the fixture for an automatic watering system.
- Landscaping of a yard can be more accessible if you plant wildflower plants around it. As they don’t need much care, just one or two soakings and here you have a year full of colourful flowers in your yard.
- Even making a small rock garden inspired by Japanese temples is a good idea in creating a small museum kind of place with dry sand on the floor will make it the most appropriate idea for low maintenance landscaping.
- Limiting the use of toxic pesticides or chemically treated wood will cut the harmful disadvantages to water and people around you. A straightforward solution is integrated pest management which includes planting pollen and nectar plants or handpicking pests off the plants.
- Lavender is one of the plants that don’t need much watering; its aromatic fragrance is a bug repellent. Perennial plants like hens and chicks are healthy plants for rocky spaces, whereas yuccas fill the surrounding with spiky leaves. These are some classic plants for the budget-friendly garden as both the plant category will grow year after year on their own.
- Integrating potted plants throughout your yard is not only a low-maintenance course of action but a sustainable one. Moving around pots, making some space for a New Year party, or adding distinct shapes and sizes of pots will be delightful landscaping tips.
Other ideas like planting native plants, cleaning fallen leaves, using artificial turf, attaching rainwater barrels will be life support for landscaping. Ensure easy tips as above are followed for low-maintenance landscaping or yard.