If you get QuickBooks won’t open error at the time of opening your company file, this post will help. This troublesome error can occur due to several reasons such as corrupt QuickBooks installation, no admin rights and other factors.
The fact that this error causes users a lot of trouble and make the company file unusable, we’ve prepared this article consisting of causes, symptoms and solutions for this error. So, let’s begin.
QuickBooks Won’t Open: Reasons behind this Error
In order to take preventive steps to avoid this error in future, understanding the reasons leading to this error is crucial. Check them below:
- Corrupt “QBWUSER.INI” File.
- Improper QuickBooks Installation.
- Outdated Windows OS.
- Corrupt Hard Disk.
- Long File Name.
Symptoms That Indicates QuickBooks Can’t Open Error
In order to solve the QuickBooks won’t open error effectively, users must confirm this error by ensuring the following symptoms:
- Upon starting QuickBooks, the system freezes and start lagging badly.
- The system fails to detect the keyboard and mouse commands.
- Showing Error: Unable to start QuickBooks.
- Users can’t work on their QB company File.
6 Proven Methods to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Won’t Open Issue
As you understand the causes and symptoms that indicate the QuickBooks not opening issues, you should apply the below-explained methods.
In addition, it is crucial that prior to applying these methods, users reboot their system and thereafter, apply these steps chronologically.
Method 1: End QBW32.Exe Task
The first method in fixing the QuickBooks won’t open issue to end the QBW32.Exe Process. Here’s how:
- To begin with, press the “Ctrl” with “Shift” and “Esc” keys simultaneously.
- Next, from the options, opt for “Windows-Task-Manager”.
- Now, from its section, select “Processes” and locate the “QBW32.exe”.
- Finally, click on it and complete the procedure by tapping on “End-Task”.
This will shut down the QBW32.Exe process and refresh your QuickBooks. Now, you need to check if the QuickBooks can open. In case it can’t then follow next.
Method 2: Rename QBWUSER.INI File
Whenever the “QBWUSER.INI” file gets corrupt, it’ll cause QuickBooks unable to open. Since renaming the file will restore the file to its original form and fix the error from it, follow these:
- Initially, launch “My-Computer”.
- Next, double-tap “C: Drive”.
- Then, open the following folders:
- 1- “Application Data”.
- 2- “Intuit”.
- 3- “QuickBooks (year)”.
- Now, locate “QBWUSER.INI”.
- Then, right-tap on it to select “Rename”.
- Finally, insert “NEW” and hit “Enter”.
Now the “QBWUSER.INI” is renamed and you will no longer experience the QuickBooks not opening error. If so, proceed next.
Method 3: Launch The Company File From New Location
The folder containing your company file can become corrupt because of viruses or technical glitches resulting in QuickBooks won’t open error.
Hence, users need to launch their company files using a new location. Here’s how:
- First, navigate to your QB company file location.
- Then, right-click the company file ending with .qbw.
- Next, choose “Copy” and minimize your Windows.
- Now, access the “C: Drive” and tap-right anywhere.
- After that, tap on “New” and “Folder” respectively.
- Then, hit “Enter” and go to the newly created folder.
- Finally, right-tap there and opt for “Paste”.
Now the company file is shifted to a New Folder, users should launch their company file in the following way:
- Start with launching your QuickBooks while holding the “CTRL” key.
- Thereafter, reach the “Open or Restore Existing-Company” tab.
- Now, browse “New Folder” within C: Drive.
- Finally, run your QB company file.
Method 4: Try QuickFix My Program
The QuickFix Program tool diagnoses QuickBooks program problems and helps QuickBooks to run smoothly. Follow these steps:
- First, install the “QuickBooks Tool Hub”.
- Then, run the Tool Hub with admin rights.
- Next, select “Program-Problems”.
- Lastly, run “QuickFix My Program”.
Method 5: Add Windows Admin
Adding Windows Admin enables users to configure QuickBooks and helps fix the QuickBooks won’t open error. Since QuickBooks is available for different OS, follow accordingly:
For Windows 10
For adding administrator on Windows 10, the subsequent steps are helpful:
- Initially, press “Win” and select “Settings”.
- Next, visit “Accounts” and opt for “Family-Users”.
- Then, hit “Other-Users” and select “Add-Someone”.
- Now, click on “I have no login….”.
- Finally, “Add-User” then name it and tap “Finish”.
Now that the admin is created, reach out to “Account Type” and opt for “Administrator”.
On Windows Server
If using QuickBooks on “Windows-Server”, the below steps are required for creating admin:
- Start with a right-tap on “My-Computer”.
- Then, select “Manage”.
- Next, click “Local-Users, Groups”.
- Now, access “Admin-Groups”.
- After that, select the “Admin-Properties”.
- Then, tap “Add” then enter a name.
- Finally, click “Ok” and the admin will be created on the Win server.
Creating Windows admin for QuickBooks won’t open error in Win 7 or 8, involves the below-listed steps:
- At first, hold “Win” plus “R”.
- Next, input “Control Panel”.
- After that, press “Enter”.
- Then, select “User-Accounts”.
- Now, click on “Manage-Accounts”.
- Finally, “Create-New-Account” and name it.
These steps will allow users to create Windows admin on their respective OS. Once done, perform a restart and confirm the QuickBooks can’t open error.
Method 6: Repair QuickBooks
The final method to fix the QuickBooks not opening error is to repair your QuickBooks desktop. Here’s how:
- First, quickly back up all the crucial company files.
- Then, tap on “Start” to access “Control-Panel”.
- Thereafter, visit “Programs-Features”.
- Next, click “Uninstall-Program”.
- Now, select “QuickBooks” underneath.
- Afterwards, choose “Uninstall/Change”.
- Then, click “Continue” followed by “Next”.
- Finally, opt for “Repair” and perform as instructed.
Now your Quickbooks will be repaired and you won’t get the QuickBooks won’t open error after restarting your system.
We believe this article helped troubleshoot your QuickBooks not opening issue. The methods offered to users are tested and proven validated by our experts.
Furthermore, the causes for its occurrence discussed in this article will help you avoid this problem next time.